Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Art In Bloom


Every year, I have the opportunity to participate in the Milwaukee Art Museum's "Art in Bloom".  As an artist at heart, this is a dream come true.  This event brings out some of the best floral designers in the Southeastern part of Wisconsin.  There was 41 designers in all who participated this year.


Back in January, we had a day at the Museum called "Lottery Day."  The art pieces are hand picked by the Museum on what they would like to see interpreted into flowers.  When we arrive, we are handed numbers.  The Art Museum will pick your number at random to go along with the artwork.  It is always fun to see your challenge.  This year I was paired up with Homage to the Square, by Josef Albers.  What a challenge, with a yellow box!


Over the weeks I collaborated with my dad, Norman Ball III, who is a Iron Worker.  It was amazing to see my vision of taking the square painting and taking it outside the box.  I wanted people to see the cube from all sides and make it dimensional.  My dad welded the yellow box and engineered a way to nestle the cube in the tree.  The tree gives the illusion that it is holding up the cube like it landed there and is now growing.  



The flowers in the cube were yellow oncidium orchids and blue tinted button mums.  In the white box base holding up the branch was yellow roses, ruscus, succulents, tricillium, leucadendron and green moss.



This was a very special piece to me this year, not only was it a challenge but I had an amazing experience making memories with my dad.   He was able to share his amazing engineering talent with me and I was able to show him what I love to do.
Thank you dad, couldn't have done it without you!


-Melissa Maas
Owner
Bank of Memories & Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment